Phenibut (also known as Noofen or Fenibut) is a synthetic derivative of GABA which is a neurotransmitter that is primarily inhibitory in nature. If you look at the Phenibut chemical structure, it is essentially a GABA molecule with a Phenyl molecular ring attached to it.
GABA on its own cannot cross over the blood-brain barrier when you ingest it as a supplement. By adding a Phenyl ring, you can effectively design a GABA delivery system which allows this compound to cross over from the blood stream and interact directly with neurons in the brain.
The result is higher levels of GABA activity in the brain and better regulation of over-excitement and anxiety.
Phenibut Chemical Information:
Phenibut Other names:
Fenibut, Fenibut citrate, Phenybut, Noofen, Citrocard, Phenybut, Phenyl-GABA
CAS Number: 1078-21-3
Chemical Names: 4-Amino-3-phenylbutanoic acid
Molecular Formula : C10H13NO2
Molecular Weight: 179.216 g/mol
Phenibut is usually seen in form of 250mg capsules used as an anxyolitic to help reduce anxiety, tension and fear.
Phenibut is a bit more tricky than your average compund. Its absorbation is easily hindered by food, and it takes a long time to start working (~2hrs). Peak effects are usually 4-7 hours after administration. Therefore follow these rules when taking Phenibut:
- No calories in the 2-hour window before administration
- No calories in the 1-hour window after administration
- Wait 6 hours before evaluating if you need more
Everyone have a different brain chemistry. This implies that people react differently to the same dosage. Start out carefully (1000mg max).
Anyway, here is a general outline of the dosage:
- 250mg-750mg: Therapeutic dosage. This yields mostly therapeutic effects. Decrease in anxiety, subtle mood lift, potentially better sleep. Some people report not feeling anything at this dosage.
- 1000mg-1500mg: Low to medium recreational dosage. Huge drop in anxiety, mood lift, increased sociability, deeper sleep. Increased libido. Many people report increase in energy and enhanced music appreciation, as well as euphoria.
- 1500mg-2000mg: Medium to high recreational dosage. Same as above, but a bit stronger effects. People sensitive to phenibut will experience dizziness, nausea, sleepiness, drunkenness. A few people will get pupil dilation.
- 2000mg-3000mg: High dosage. Same as above, but even higher risk of negative effects. Pupil dilation in many people.
A dosage higher than 3000mg will most likely give you a bad time.
Although phenibut might seem like a light, subtle drug it builds tolerance very fast. The reason for this is not known, although the long duration probably plays a role in this. (A lot of people reporting feeling their morning dosage into the next day, which means potentially up to 36 hours of effects). From this, we understand that dosing every other day is not sustainable: that implies you have more hours in a week on Phenibut than off.
Therefore, I define the upper limit at every third day. Note that this might still build some tolerance, it depends from person to person. It is also dosage-dependant. Every third day at 3000mg is most likely unsustainable for a lot of people.
Regardless, it is highly advised you take regular breaks of 2-4 weeks to let your mind and body fully reset itself.
Phenibut & Alcohol
There is no safety information on the combination of alcohol and phenibut. They work on the same type of receptors in your brain, so combining them can easier lead to a fatal overdose (known as CNS Depression). People still report combining the two. If you decide to drink on phenibut, a rule of thumb is that a normal recreational dosage of phenibut will make alcohol 2-3 times stronger. Therefore, at least cut your alcohol consumption in half. Be responsible.
Reduces stress, boosts mood
Promotes deep, healthy restful sleep
Creates a feeling of well-being
Other Nootropic Agents:
|Product Name||CAS No.|
|Choline Bitartrate||CAS 87-67-2|
|Choline Chloride||CAS 67-48-1|
|Coluracetam(MKC 231)||CAS 135463-81-9|
|Hordenine HCl||CAS 6027-23-2|
|Huperzine A||CAS 120786-18-7|
|IDRA 21||CAS 22503-72-6|
|Magnesium L-Threonate||CAS 778571-57-6|
|Memantine HCL||CAS 41100-52-1|
|Picamilon Sodium||CAS 62936-56-5|
|Rivastigmine Tartrate||CAS 129101-54-8|